Sunday, February 23, 2014

polar regions

This was such a fun topic to study! Only because I am past the baby phase did I decide to tackle the project below:


As much as I'd love to say that my kids built this on their own . . . this was a mom job. We are not closet milk guzzlers--I drove to three coffee shops every day for 8 days straight. Thankfully, the coffee shops were all within a mile of each other. They were each kind enough to save milk jugs for me and were eager to see the finished product. (I picked up in the afternoon when they were not crazy busy.) Each day I spent 45 minutes rinsing the jugs out with hot water and a tiny drop of soap. I then threw them outside on my back patio to dry. 

After we built the igloo, we printed the above picture, glued it to a piece of cardstock, and my kids wrote thank you notes on the cardstock. (Forgot to take a picture.) We also gave each store a bag of Hershey's Kisses with a cute tag attached that said, "Eskimo Kisses for You." 

My inspiration came from THIS VIDEO. They show you the best way to build the igloo--great tips!
We had to use a high-heat glue gun, which is why I ended up building it--though my kids brought me all the jugs and helped hold them together. 

Total milk jugs: 268

We found so many fun Arctic, Antarctica, Penguin and Polar Bear videos on YouTube and Amazon Prime. We also checked out multiple DVDs from our library. The resources for this topic are endless.

My favorite activity resource book: Polar Regions Activity Book
Included are recipes, activities, crafts, literature lists and more. I highly recommend this book!






7 comments:

Lucinda said...

Looks like your hard work collecting and washing out the cartons was worth it - the kids seem to be enjoying their igloo! What a great way to bring learning to life.

Kath said...

This is very cool. I think you could build sort of a green house like this - if you put foil over top and filled the bottom bottles with water to keep them steady and add thermal mass.... what a neat project and I can see tons of spin-offs here.....

Kath said...

I feel silly but I want to subscribe to your blog, yet can't figure out how. Help?

Brenda Johnston said...

Hi Kath! Unfortunately, I have no idea how to add the "subscribe" link on my blog. I am sure I could figure it out, but that takes time. : ) What I do for blogs I follow is just have them all in my "feedly" reader and when a new post pops up I see it. I love your idea of the greenhouse spin off! We are hoping to buy land within the next few years and the first thing my husband wants to do is build a greenhouse! Fresh organic produce all year round--yum!

Discovering the World Through My Son's Eyes said...

Hello! Thank you so much for linking up at the Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop #14, and congrats you’ve been featured in this month’s blog hop as the most clicked and viewed post! My son loves, loves this!!! Now I will have to get to working LOL

Brenda Johnston said...

Thanks Frances! How fun! And yes, your son will LOVE to have one of these!!!

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic! My kids have been dying to build an igloo (we live in Singapore).