Thursday, October 9, 2014

solar system with shaving cream

This was such a fun project! We are learning all about the Solar System around here and I discovered this "puffy planet" idea here. She gives a full tutorial on the ratio of white glue and shaving cream. Just add food coloring for color!

Each of my kids made their own and loved swirling the color until they got it "just right." I purchased thick, black poster board from the Dollar Tree for the background.

Who knew shaving cream and white glue could be so much fun!? We added different types of glitter with a glue stick to represent the stars. The "asteroid belt" was made with thick glitter, micro beads and small blue beads--I just used what I had on hand.

Overnight a few of the planets imploded on themselves--too much shaving cream I guess. My kids still thought they looked cool. The kids used a silver chalk pen that I had on hand to label the planets. This project took a couple of hours and the glitter made a huge mess, but it was totally worth it. My kids LOVED this project! (Ages 10, 8, and 5) And now they know all the names of the planets and where they go!

8-year-old

5-year-old


No comments: