Tuesday, July 13, 2010

me and food

As with many women, I struggle with eating too much chocolate . . . oh, and too much cheese . . . and maybe a few too many carbs . . . and the list goes on. Why do I do this to myself? Especially considering I have a digestive disease and too much over indulgence can make me feel ill. Sometimes I eat because of stress . . . sometimes I eat just because I feel like it . . . sometimes I don't even realize that I'm throwing yet another goldfish in my mouth!

Why I am sharing this with you? Because I recently read something that changed my perspective on eating, dieting, the whole food/weight saga that I've struggled with all my life. And for those of you who don't know me and laugh when you see my picture, don't laugh. I really do struggle. I do not have "skinny genes" as some women do. I have to exercise 5x a week to stay the size I am and eat a fairly clean diet (and I still don't consider myself skinny). And even when I've been ten pounds lighter than I am now (only when I'm really sick), I still find flaws and don't feel skinny enough. Sound familiar? I know this is not how God intended for me to look at myself and that the only beauty He is interested in is on the inside. I also know that He wants me to take care of myself (and the body that he created) and be healthy--I can't do much for God if I am tired all the time or sick!

So, this is the story I read. It's called The Beautiful House. (It's a one-minute read.) It's a letter from God to Donna. It's comparing a brand new house to her body and how we would obviously want to keep the brand new house sparkling clean, why do we treat our bodies like crap by feeding it crap? Made me think a lot about all the things I "sneak" into myself and say it doesn't matter. And I'm not just talking about weight loss/gain here, I'm talking about being healthy so that I have energy to take care of my kids, be a better wife, etc. I know I don't get energy from eating unhealthy.

Anyway, disregard this pictureless post if you don't struggle with food. It just really hit home with me and I wanted to share. I'm not saying I will never eat chocolate or cheesecake again, but I will think twice and maybe only have half a slice and not be indulging daily! Here's to being healthy!

Feel free to share your thoughts . . .

1 comment:

brandi said...

good timing for this post!
i just started summer school {last class at CSUS} and it is a nutrition class, which i am loving! it is so inspiring, i have already started shopping better. thanks for the additonal inspiration.