Friday, February 26, 2010

an update and a layout

Today is the start of day 8 for me on an elemental liquid diet to try and pull myself out of this flare without steroids or starting the even harsher drugs. Some days I feel like just starting the harsher drugs, but then I remind myself that this is just a short time and God will give me the strength to do this. I drink these shakes all day long that are completely predigested so that my intestines don't have to do any work and have a chance to heal. They don't taste like a yummy milkshake, but so far I have been able to get them down. I'm supposed to do this for 2-6 weeks and then start to add one food per day back into my diet. We'll see . . .

I've got some awesome friends who are bringing meals for my husband and kids so that I can rest and don't have to be around food too much. Such a blessing! My husband is incredibly supportive. Over the last year he has even stopped buying cookies and cream ice cream so that I am not tempted--my tastebuds love it, but my stomach doesn't. He buys strawberry ice cream instead which does not tempt me too much. The other night I came downstairs after they were done eating dinner (I try to stay upstairs while they are eating since being around the smell and sight of food is torcher) and this is what I found:

I first spotted an ice cream lid and then I saw two little heads pop up as they were quietly eating bites of ice cream behind the kitchen counter. They didn't want mommy to see and feel bad. The camera happened to be sitting nearby and I snapped these shots. Too cute.

I'll leave you with a layout from the February kit.

I previously posted about our Decade Dance that took place over Christmas. Here are all the pictures I finally put together in a layout.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Gail P Smith said...

What a sweet family you have Brenda!
When my father was dying of esophegeal cancer he was unable to swallow anything that wouldn't fit through a straw. And on top of that, he had some dementia and was unable to understand that eating anything else would result in severe pain and vomiting.
How could we eat in fromt of him? My sister and I both would eat only what Dad could eat most of the time. Occasionally I'd sneak out for a hamburger, but after the first time I learned to eat the burger in the car (and then leave the windows down) or he could smell it on my clothes from the burger store!
We had some interesting and creative meals with Dad (esp as he didn't like soup). And lost some weight, too.
But of course, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Praying for YOU that the new "treatment" works and that these difficult days will be used by God to bless you and your sweet family.

Love ya,