Sunday, September 21, 2014

revolutionary war shoeboxes

I love these TOOBS that you can find online or at Michael's and Joann--where you can use a coupon! There are so many fun things you can do with them. We decided to make a Revolutionary War scene as we are studying the American Revolution. Each of my girls are currently working on writing a short paper about the war as well. I suggested one girl pretend she was a Loyalist and the other a Patriot--though neither of them want to be the Loyalist!

In addition to the TOOBS, we used rocks and some moss that I purchased from our local craft store. We used acrylic paint on the inside of the shoeboxes. A hot glue gun was used for the rocks and to secure the soldiers.

Even my 5-year-old got in on the action!

We'll be covering the Civil War later this year--they have both sides in a TOOB as well! We'll have to come up with something new for that war. Want to see another TOOB idea? Check out the Jamestown Fort that we built!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are great! Love this idea. I'm sure my girls would enjoy doing something like this, too.

Thanks for linking up at The Homeschool Post!

Donna Jannuzzi said...

These are so creative! My boys love TOOBS too, and yes, I totally buy them only when I have a coupon! =)

We might have to do something like this ourselves. I think my eldest would really enjoy it. Thanks for sharing the idea. =)