Saturday, September 14, 2013

chicken and rice mexican soup (with lime!)

I love to experiment with what I have on hand and I love all recipes that involve salsa, cumin and lime! This soup is delish!


This may look like a lot of ingredients, but most are easy ingredients to open and throw in.

1 Tbls. olive oil
2 c. diced carrot
.5 c. chopped onion
1.5 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. cumin
1 can black beans
1 jar salsa verde (I used the 14oz jar from Trader Joe's)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 32 oz. container chicken broth
1-2 limes, squeeze right into the soup (I love the lime taste, but my family prefers I just use one)
2-4 Tbls. fresh cilantro depending on how much you like cilantro
2 c. chopped, cooked chicken
2.5 c. cooked brown rice

In a large pot, cook carrots in olive oil until tender. Add everything else and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and let simmer for 1-2 hours.


1 comment:

luvjezuz said...

Just hopped on to get this recipe! It's going on my regular meal rotation...after I fully recover ;)