Thursday, June 20, 2013

beefy bean freezer meal

I love freezer cooking and this meal is EASY to prepare and FREEZE!


For my family, I serve this with all the fixings, including soft flour tortilla shells. For me, I simply throw it on a bed of lettuce and call it a taco salad. No gluten, less calories. See those RED looking tomatoes--they are fresh from our garden--yum!

This recipe makes 3-4 meals depending on the size of your family. With our family of 2 adults and 3 kids, I can use it for 4 meals. We eat one and I freeze the rest!

Beefy Bean Burrito/Salad:
3 pounds ground beef 
3 onions, chopped (I actually used dried onion--simpler and my eyes don't water)
12 cloves of garlic, minced (I used Trader Joe's fresh garlic that is already minced)
3 (16oz) cans refried beans
3 (12-14oz) jars of your favorite salsa (I used Trader Joe's Salsa Verde or a fresh red salsa)
3 Tbls. cumin
2 (4oz) cans diced green chiles 

In a large skillet pan, brown the ground beef and drain well. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Simmer at least 15 minutes to blend flavors. Serve with your favorite burrito fixings. Bag the remaining mixture in gallon size freezer bags and label for your freezer. Thaw and warm when you are ready to use. 

I adapted this recipe from The Everything Meals for a Month Cookbook





No comments: