Tuesday, December 21, 2010

minestrone soup

Feeling cold today? I am freezing . . . well, freezing by California standards anyway. Here is something that is sure to warm you up! I had some girlfriends over for lunch the other day and they all asked me for this recipe . . . so, this is for you girls!


1.5 c diced carrots
2 c diced zucchini (2 medium zucchini)
.5 c diced red onion
6 cloves of garlic (I used Trader Joe's minced garlic in the jar)
2 cans diced tomatoes (or only one if you aren't a huge tomato fan)
1 can tomato paste (this is a key ingredient!)
1 can kidney beans or white northern beans
2 tsp salt
2 Tbls dried basil (I use 6 cubes of the frozen basil that you can get at Trader Joes or I use a half cup of fresh basil if I have it)
2 tsp dried oregano (again, I use fresh if I can--tastes even better)
8 c chicken broth

Heat 1 Tbls olive oil in large pot and add onion, garlic, carrots and zucchini. Cook until soft, stiring frequently. Add spices and cook two more minutes. Add the remainder of your ingredients and turn your stove top to low. Cook for 2-3 hours uncovered.

Add ins
I frequently add half a pound of mild italian chicken sausage from Whole Foods. I didn't have it on hand when I made it this day. Occasionally I will add some gluten free pasta. If you do this, add another cup of water as the pasta soaks up a lot of the liquid.

Hope you like it!

1 comment:

sarah hornacek said...

looks delicious! i've been making a soup very similar lately...bringing it to a low boil and adding 1 cup of brown rice. cook it for an hour more and it's so yummy! i love soups that you can just add lots of veggies or beans or meat and make it your own. perfect cold day meal!