Thursday, February 18, 2010

half and half meatloaf

This is one of my experimental recipes . . . I think I have it just how I like it. It is half ground turkey and half ground beef. It's a compromise meatloaf. My husband loves anything with red meat and tells me he can't stand ground turkey. I try to avoid red meat because it sometimes upsets my stomach if I have too much. A few weeks ago I tried adding both meats to see if he could tell . . . I'm so sneaky. He ate it up quickly and thanked me for not making ground turkey meatloaf again (which I had made in the past). After he was mostly finished, I told him it was half and half. He was surprised. Now we have found something that suits us both! And here is the recipe:


1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb. ground beef (I use the organic kind from Costco)
1 c. plain yogurt (I use my homeade kind)
1.5 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. dried sage leaves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground mustard (dry)
.5 tsp. pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
1.5 c. gluten free oatmeal
1 small red onion, chopped
.75 c. ketchup
.25 c. honey

Mix it all together well and bake at 350 degees for 1 hour or 15 minutes more if you like it crisp on top.
This makes a double batch. I have two meatloaf pans. I put one unbaked in the freezer and have a meal ready to go for another time!

*I've also added 1 cup of shredded zucchini in the past when I've had it on hand. Your kids will never know something healthy is in there!

p.s. I'll be back soon with a scrapbooking post. Have a good day!

No comments: