Wednesday, November 25, 2009

zucchini pizza crust

This past summer we grew our own zucchini. I found this awesome recipe for a gluten-free pizza crust here. I've changed the cheese to monterey jack since mozarella has lactose in it. I bake a big batch of these and freeze them in between wax sheets of paper. I like this crust better than a traditional pizza crust. SO  YUMMY!!


INGREDIENTS
4 cups finely shredded zucchini
3/4 cup all-purpose flour gluten-free flour
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Once zucchini or summer squash has been shredded (I recommend a food processor) lightly salt the squash and transfer it to a strainer. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes and press all remaining liquid out of squash—very important to get out as much water as possible.

3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine squash, flour, Parmesan cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, eggs, pepper and salt. Mix well.

4. Spread individual size crusts onto a greased pan (I use my slip mat) and sprinkle with oregano. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. The reason I don't do one large crust is that it is hard to flip.

5. Remove the crust from the oven and change the oven's temperature to broil. Brush the top of the crust with oil, and then broil the crust for 3 to 5 minutes until the top is lightly browned.

6. Allow the crust to cool slightly and slide spatula underneath all edges and flip the crust over so that the bottom of the crust is now facing upwards. If you want to omit the flipping stage, that is okay, but the crust won't be as crunchy.

7. Brush the top of the crust with oil and broil for another 3 to 5 minutes until the top is browned. Be sure and watch the crust closely so as not to burn the edges too much.

Smother this crust with your favorite pizza toppings, bake and enjoy!

3 comments:

Unique Geek said...

Which gluten-free flour do you personally use?

Brenda Johnston said...

I use Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF Flour. I have used rice flour as well if I've been out of the All-Purpose. Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

I'm looking for low-carb pizza crust recipes and this looks amazing!

Gretta Hewson
San Marcos Injury Lawyer